So, with Fantasy Flight Games releasing (who knows when) the Genesys system, I have already asked myself a few times- “Will this replace most systems for me?” The latest episode where I argued with my buddy Gary McCallum really got me thinking about it more. I can’t wait for this system to release! I mean, I love the narrative dice system since I first played their Star Wars games. And so many times my buddy Will and I had said “if only they had this in a fantasy setting”. Well, now we are about to have it!
I already know that the “make or break” scenario for me will be the magic system. I have a strong feeling that it will come close to how the Jedi work now in Star Wars, but I can’t say for sure. I already know it does Star Wars great, but will it be able to cover enough settings as well as Savage Worlds? This is the question I greatly want to know.
The pros of the system (basing it off of the current Star Wars games)-
- No hit point punching bags. Just a wound threshold that rarely goes up
- A sword is a sword is a sword. Now that sword your father handed down to you from his father can actually be used through your entire career! This is not a “you’re only as good as your gear” system.
- Success or failure with additional information. The dice help you and the whole group be more creative at the table for storytelling
- Abstract combat. I love the “don’t count squares” mentality in this system.
- Don’t have that skill? That’s cool. Try anything. Some are just better than others. (as a bit of an afterthought, I think most systems are this way these days)
- Group collaboration. I have never played a system before that had people come together so much to help describe all aspects of the story like this one. It actually promotes it! “Don’t tell me what my dice did” isn’t a part of this system at all. It is 100% “rule of cool”
- Character customization. I love how in this system you can just pick a little from this, pick a little from that and really make your character what you want it to be.
- Narrative dice. While this is one of the coolest points to the system, it is also one of it’s drawbacks. I have heard it many times and have done it myself. “Ok, you have 3 advantage left over. What do you want to do with them?”. “Ehh, I dunno. I’ve run out of ideas”
- Points of view. I have gotten into arguments over “No, that would be medium range”. “But it was short range for him just a minute ago”.
Now, I’m sure there’s a lot more I could put on the pros and cons side, but these are what’s coming to mind right now. Hey, It’s 2am in the morning and I’m writing this! I also really wonder how this system will handle investigation type games. I can’t say that I’ve really done that style in this system. I suppose time will tell.
What do you think, will Genesys become a good “go-to” system for all your adventuring needs?